nine negative words and phrases you should never use
We have this nasty self-defeating habit of using negative phrases to describe ourselves and our actions. They come in a vast range of variations ranging from “I am not good enough” to “I am a failure” and they have the same debilitating effect.
They are the complete opposite to everything we know about the power of positive thinking, because every time you use or think about negative words and phrases you are telling the Universe that you are worthless and totally unfit to receive any of the good things in life - and that’s exactly what you will attract, nothing that is ever worth having and nothing that will ever improve your life for the better. That is why I want to show you how to cut out negative words and phrases from your life and turn them into something more positive.
When you think or say negative things you will not be surprised when it all goes wrong for you, because that’s what you expect. You have been saying as much for years as you experience one disappointment after another, further reinforcing exactly what you think.
The Universe is like a giant computer. It has no grey areas of understanding and will literally accept your personal software programme. If you are telling it that you are useless or an idiot, or that everything goes wrong for you, it will assume that is really what you want.
So how do we change all this? Later on in this article we will be looking at ways to help you stop using these dangerous self-defeating words so that you can set about altering your life and attracting the good things. It would not be an understatement to say that your life could be transformed once you stop using negative words and phrases and substitute them for something more positive.
But before we can do this we need to look at every single one these negative phrases just to make sure we discard all of them. This is my hit list of nine words that should never to be used and they include the two mentioned in the first paragraph. These are some of my examples. but feel free to add a few of your own and don't forget to put some positive ones alongside.
- Never say that I am not good enough. Try this: There is no one else quite like me anywhere on this planet. I am unique and able to achieve anything I want.
- Never say that I am a failure. Try this: Sometimes I will get things wrong and I will learn from the experience. I always work hard to achieve success.
- Never say that I cannot do this. Try this: I might be finding this difficult, but am not afraid to ask for help and will learn how to overcome this.
- Never say that I am worried what will people think? Try this: Others will like and admire what I am trying to do and will support me
- Never say I am always alone. Try this: If I feel alone I will look for support. I know there are others out there who like and want to be with me.
- Never say I do not deserve this. Try this: Problems happen sometimes, but it is not my fault.
- Never say If only I had more. Try this: I will do my best to attract more of the good stuff into my life
- Never say this is impossible. Try this: This might be tough but I will find a solution
- Never say I am useless, ugly, a failure, an idiot, not as good as them etc. Try this: I am a unique human being, I look great, I work hard, I am popular, I am smart.
I think you should have the idea by now. These are banned phrases because they cause so much self-destruction, but the chances they have become engrained into you sub conscious, possibly by a parent, teacher, or someone else in authority and you now believe them to be fact. Once you acknowledge this and set about making changes, then your life will begin to change. You also need to create your own list and write down alternative positive phrases and words.
This list of substitute phrases will offset the negative ones you have been using for years so that when you find yourself slipping back into oldways you will consciously try to substitute them for something more positive.
So for example and to reinforce the message: “I am not good enough” or “I am a failure” becomes “I can make this succeed” or “I have the power to make this happen.
“What will people think” can be replaced by “people think well of me and support me in my actions;” exchange “I do not deserve this” for “I have worked hard for this and the success that is coming my way.”
Get into the habit of exchanging negative phrases for the exact opposite and gradually you will begin to see subtle changes for the better occurring in your life because you do deserve the good things and until now, the only barrier has been you.
Finally, just to make sure that all of these negative phrases are eliminated and to reduce the possibility of them ever returning, write them all down on a piece of paper. Put as many down as you like and when you are ready write the sentence – “these phrases no longer have any place in my life.”
Complete the sentence and have one final read to make sure you have not missed anything and then destroy that paper. It is your way of sending out the message to the Universe that things have changed and that you expect a better response in the future – and do you know what – you will.